Monday 16 August 2010

An Ode to a Shoe Fetish



With less than a month to go till the grand opening of Selfridges’ new Shoe Gallery on 16th September, there is a growing level of anticipation amongst London’s shoe elite.  This is the biggest project undertaken by the Westons since buying the store in 2003 for £628 million.  Pocket change.

The new shoe ‘emporium’, as they like to call it, is reportedly going to be larger than the ground floor of the Tate Modern.  Wow – I know!  A section of it's already open, giving us all a mere taster as to the level of grandiosity that is to come.  With carefully considered collections all pleasingly exhibited, piece by piece on varying heights of plateau, it is hard for the eye to do anything but devour each style one by one.  So many too choose from already - my heart is racing just at the thought of it.  So much so, I may need to sit down for a second on one of the vintage cinema seats in the central floor space.  How cool are these?



I guess partners also need somewhere to wait whilst we gawp at the selection of frivolous footwear.  They don't mind.  After all let’s face it - men love that sexual power that we ooze once we are elevated in one of those magnificent creations.  At the same time, we love towering over them, with a look of lusty confidence and dribbling satisfaction.  It's as though the world is at our feet (literally) and we are the Queen of our own destiny.  (Sorry, I went off on one for a second - back now.) What the hell am I going to be like when they open the entire floor?  Honestly.  

One of the sales assistants told me how she has to dust the large glass shelves three times a day.  “I should bloody well hope so!” - I told her.  With labels including Chloe, Stella McCartney, Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Miu Miu, Balenciaga, you name it - you won't be disappointed.  I warn you though, enter at your own peril.  Not for the faint hearted, that's for sure. Mi-aaow!



So you don't get too over excited, I have just included one pair.  Baby steps.



No comments:

Post a Comment