Thursday 23 September 2010

Issey Miyake for Evian

                            

The Miyake Design Studio (Issey Miyake), has teamed up with evian® to design a limited edition "...pure bottle, glowing with both optimism and freshness". The press release continues in this chirpy manner, talking of the "shimmering flower" being an "essential source of life" and "symbol of youth".  Yuk!  This sickly piece of blurb was almost enough to take away from the cutesy and quirky aesthetics that the bottle does in fact offer.  Sometimes it's best to let the visuals do the talking - isn't that the whole point of design?  Anyway, that being said, the bottle itself was enough to make me smile again.  (Don't forget I am born and bred a Londoner - I have to find something to complain about first, before I put a positive spin on things.  If I do.  Naturally.)


Anyway, I'm certainly not a fan of floral (shock horror!) - but with a contemporary twist expressed through a nod towards the Pleats Please range from Miyake, I will most certainly be tracking down one of the two limited edition bottles, for personal keep-sakes.

  

In the end, I am a bit of a sucker for collectable design objects (some may even call me a hoarder) - and whilst this may not be the most mind-blowing collaboration in the world, I am certainly not offended by it (press release aside).  Just remember, whatever you do, don't drink it!  Place the bottle on a safe shelf and dust every so often - give it minimum of 10 years and then put it on 'ebay'.

Available to buy at either one of the Issey Miyake Stores in London (Issey Miyake on Conduit Street or Pleats Please on Brook Street - both W1).  

No comments:

Post a Comment