Monday 13 September 2010

A Design Girl Day Out - Tate Modern Massive

It was a grey day in London and I needed a bit of an oomph, so as I had some spare time (between jobs), I decided to play my 'Design Girl About Town' theme to the max (and be a little self indulgent).  Decision - to hit our fabulous Tate Modern Exhibition and spend the day enjoying it to it's full capacity.  I hit the Northern Line and exited at London Bridge, where my magical Monday began.

As always, I walked around with my eyes and ears open; being London, you never know what little hidden gems and design-y tit bits you can find.  After cutting through Borough Market (of course pretty dead today), I turned down Stoney Street before hitting the river.  Boo! I found my first little piece of street art - look familiar?!  Hmmm.



Anyway - as I continue, I then I see some questionable writing on a wall - which makes me wonder whether someone has the number of a good therapist? (No judgement - of course.)

After giggling to myself and strutting along to the rhythm of the beat (iPod naturally on full blast), I cruise along until I finally reach my destination - Tate Modern.  Ahhhh.  I haven't been for ages, so I was really quite excited.  The main exhibit 'Exposed' has been on for a while so I am glad I am finally getting round to seeing it.


So - what did I think?  Well - the idea that the camera, since it's invention, has been used to capture images of people unawares.  Some imagery was humourous, some thought provoking and some just down right dark and/or dirty.   From hidden war cameras to modern day paparazzi shots....

Poor Paris - Off to be Locked Up!
.....to our nations world famous obsession with CCTV!




My favourite piece, however, was the 'Ballad of Sexual Dependency' - a slide show, that I have to admit, really moved me. It was made up of hundreds of photographs taken by Nan Goldin over three decades and was so personal and raw and uncensored - it was all consuming and brought me to a place of 'realness'.  Documenting the unbelievably intimate lives of her friends and lovers, (and probably some random strangers that she picked up in bars across New York and Boston), the slideshow was a graphic depiction of life, love, sex, drug use, violence, death, pain, fear, vulnerability and so much more.  With an unbelievable apt soundtrack with lyrics evoking the relevant emotions, to say I was choked doesn't even cover it! Seriously, it was worth the day out just for this - Room 8 (by the way).


Following on from this - I checked out the rest of the place and forgot how much fun the free stuff at Tate Modern has to offer.


Great day at Tate Modern...

Design Girl signing off from her day of indulgence....

Before I go - look what I found on my way home....


London makes me smile too....

Roger and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment